Thursday 25 December 2008

The End Of This Blog

So I know I started First Steps a few months back but lately life had become so hectic that I could barely keep up a blog. Here's why.

On September 17th, I participated in a contest where you're supposed to submit idea for a TV show. All you had to do was write five sentences about your idea and if they like the idea, they will call you and give you RM 3 000 but with the condition that you will present the idea to them. I sent in two ideas. Barely any thinking was involved. Within 5 minutes, I sent in both ideas. I could barely remember what the titles were. I saw the ad for the contest once only on TV3 btw. I don't even normally watch TV3. LOL.



On the first week of October, I was asked to emcee this Hari Raya event which would be attended by the Malaysian Ambassador and the managers of Mitco Japan (a Petronas branch in Japan) and other Petronas scholars. This was my first time hosting an event with a script so I didn't do very well. I HATE scripts. LOL.



On the second week of October, I found out that I was among the 20 shortlisted people for the TV show idea competition. The best part was when the lady told me the title of my drama, I could not even recognise it. As I thought of the title in a hurry, there were no memories of it. As it turned out I named my drama A Rojak Life.

Excited over the prospect of creating a TV show, my brain went into overdrive and I called Iman to tell her the good news. That day, I had to go teach English to some fellow so during the one hour train ride, I began to scribble down the ideas. Before I knew it, I had the titles of 13 episodes and had the draft of 6 episodes already. On the way back from teaching the fellow, I managed to finish the remaining 7 episodes. Later that night, I began typing the first episode. As I had to present in the second week of November, I knew I only had 1 month to juggle school, script and work. So every night, I worked on one or two episodes. At times, I was so overwhelmed with emotion as some of the scenes in the drama were extremely personal.

On the second week of November, after one week of script writing, one week of falling ill, one week of getting feedback, I headed back to Kuching. As I had RM 3000 just from being chosen as the finalists, I didn't worry that much about the flight cost and stuff.

The funniest thing was that the cheapest ticket back to Kuala Lumpur transited at Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam. Vietnam was a crazy-crazy-crazy place. People were honking left and right without a valid reason. I thought I was a courageous person until I arrived at Ho Chi Minh. I didn't have the guts to cross the road as there were no traffic lights and the vehicles kept moving. Finally, I muster my courage and cross the road with the other Vietnamese. I thought to myself even if I die, at least I have company to heaven. Or maybe we'll accompany each other half way until the junction to either heaven or hell. And if I don't die and do get involved in an accident, at least I have someone to chat with in the ambulance. LOL.

So anyways, after Vietnam, I went to KL then back to Kuching. In Kuching, I began my hunt for the clothes that I was going to wear to the presentation. I had a specific idea in my head what I wanted to wear. A sweater on a long sleeve shirt with jeans. Looking for the sweater was difficult as while that fashion is currently the trend in Japan and US, it's still not that popular in Malaysia. I finally found an Emilio Valentino sweater though. I also found a backpack that I liked.

Knowing that a script with 13 episodes wasn't enough, I knew I had to come up with a teaser. I was however, extremely realistic and didn't want to be too ambitious. I finally managed to come up with an idea that was do-able and wouldn't be too time consuming. I finally came up with the idea of just focusing on the different aspects of Daniel's life and how he struggles to stay true to his identity. within three days, I managed to come up with two posters and one teaser. The teaser took almost 100 takes as my cousins (aged 11 to 15) could not stop laughing. Sigh...never leave a job meant for pro to amateurs..lol...







November 13th, I was supposed to arrive at 0001 am but thanks to the efficiency of Air Asia, I arrived at 0101. The best part was when I reached my hotel I had fever and was hallucinating already. And I still have to figure out what I was going to say in 9 hours time. After taking a short three hour nap, I woke up still dizzy and stuff. I had to prepare the handouts and stuff so it took me a good two hours. When I arrived at the hotel which was freaking freezing cold, I was surprised to see that the people there were extremely interesting. None of them were shy and all of them, had a solid idea. Shivering in cold, I drank lots of coffee and tried to thought out the script.

By the time it was my turn though, the script completely went out the window and I presented from my heart instead. Hehehehe..that has to be one of the most cliche sentences ever...I went overtime..No, that's not accurate. I ran two laps past the clock, instead of presenting for 5 minutes, I presented for 10 minutes. I thought to myself, crap. There goes my chance. But at least I still had the RM 3k.

Remaining November, while waiting for the result, I continued to work at the Malaysian restaurant ( I quit the post office job). After working there for a month, I was promoted to become hall chief in November. Being the youngest person there, people found it difficult to take me seriously. And some of the more experienced workers were annoyed at me being promoted but it's not my fault they never bother to learn the management stuffs. I took initiatives and my actions paid off. I however, began to change my method with them. I tried the inspiring them to work method. It worked. If you want them to do the job, do it yourself, get down and dirty and show them that they are not working for you, but working with you. Damn, those cliche sayings are actually true.

Early December, the drama class I took began practicing full swing for the year end drama that would be performed in front of a live audience. We were practicing for about 3 to 4 hours everyday. The teacher chose California Suite by Neil Simon and I played Billy while this other Chinese foreing student played Hannah in the first scene. I was also responsible for the brochure, invitation card and also, sound effect. After months of intensive practice, finally a week before the play, posters were put up around campus.

On the actual day of the drama, we had about 30 audience on the first day and about 40 audienec on the second day. Everythign went smoothly and after the play on the second day, which was the last day, we went for a drink.

Third week of December, I dont't know how but somehow I ended up being responsible for organising a year end party for the foreign language lounge members at my university. Never planned a party before, I began to freak out but luckily one of the Japanese girls who was studying Bristol but was coming back to Japan for the holiday, assured me everything was fine. As it turned out, on the actual day itself everything was indeed fine. We had a first party (一次会)at a Japanese restaurant. Then we had a second party at 10 pm at a British Pub. Then we had a third party at 11 at a Japanese karaoke. One of the Japanese fellow could not catch the last train back so he stayed over at my place.



The day after the party which was yesterday, the result for the Big Idea (the tv show idea) contest was announced in a ceremony in Sri Pentas, Kuala Lumpur. I could not go so instead Nadiah's mother went on my behalf. I was told by the organiser, Zher Peen to prepare a webcam if possible, just in case I won, which I thought was unlikely. I bought one that morning anyway. The ceremony started at 10 am. At that time, I was eating instant noodles while watching Friends' bloopers on YouTube.

After 1 hour, I still have not received any call so I immediately assumed that I lost. However, just as I finished my noodle, Ina Mora (a person who I don't know) messaged me on Skype and asked me to call Zher Peen. I called Zher Peen and she passed me on to Nadiah's mother. I FREAKING WON THE DAMN THING!! I WON RM 20 K !!! What the fuck ( i use fuck only on big occasions) !!! At least two television stations were interested. WOAAAA!! They interviewed me live through Skype. We had some technical (actualy a lot of technical problems) at first but eventually we got the conversation going. I immediately told all those friends who believed in my crazy idea and thanked them. Iman, Nadiah, Yin Nin, Ihsan, Muz (could not contact you lha...you were in UK) thanks man.

I don't know if I will be involved in the development of the drama series but I sure hope I will be. Anyways, this coming Saturday, I'll have to host this grand Malaysian night with Iman so I am pretty nervous cause I haven't figure out what to say yet. With all this going on in my life, I don't think I have time to blog anymore.

In 2009, I will write at least one more script and will try and produce the music I wrote. I also plan to quit my job and change to something different for the sake of experience. I also want to apply to be on the Amazing Race Asia and lots more. I'll also want to visit Manila and Jakarta (which I will in February and March), Yangon, Brunei, Phnom Penh and Laos as well. With that, I would have stepped foot on all Southeast Asean countries except for East Timor.

Crap, 2009 is going to be the year, I'll be slammed in the face by many doors, but at the same time, I hope, I sincerely do, that at least some of the things I plan will come true. To come to think of it, this time last year, I was feeling down when I found out that I had an elder sister that was given up for adoption. But I moved on and I made the best out of what I had. Thanks to all those who have been very supportive and I hope you'll hear more about me in future. Alrighty, with that, this is the end of this blog.

Thanks guys. Bye.

Sincerely Naza / Nicky

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

naza! i feel so little compared to u
u have a part time job, wrote a script, hosted and organised events in ur uni... wow...

u've really achieved alot in a single year!

all the best in the coming year!!!

Anonymous said...

I seldom leave comments on blog, but I have been to this post which was recommended by my friend, lots of valuable details, thanks again.