Saturday 13 October 2007

Turning 2.0 Season 2: Chapter 3 The Pieces Don’t Fit Anymore (James Morisson)

Previously:
After 19 years, everything seemed to be going well for the first time. No more dramas as some may say. I began to live life a simple teenager. As a simple 19 year old. But things are about to change...one simple truth can flip this whole world around..and the completed puzzle will be shatterred on the floor again. Once again.


“The truth can become a lie in a matter of seconds. When that happens and your whole world comes crashing down, what do you do? Do you accept the new truth and try and adjust your life to the new information that you just found out? Or do you simply discard the new piece of information and pretend like nothing ever happened? Either way, life will never be the same again”

20th January 2007, Tokyo, Japan

I was laughing, smiling and joking. Everything seemed perfect. To be honest with you, ever since graduating from high school, I have successfully put the past behind me and I was able to accept who I was already. In fact, I was very happy with who I was. I was on fire. The one thing however that was still bothering me was that I still do not have a single clue on who my real father was. It started sometime in September of 2006.

I began to wonder what would have become of me if I grew up with my biological father. I knew one thing and that was I might not be the man I was now but still, I cannot help to wonder. As the curiosity grew, I began to search for his identity. At first, my plan was to only look for him when I returned to Kuching. I planned to employ a private investigator and searched for his where about (this move might have been inspired by too many episodes of Veronica Mars). However, by the time December came, I became more and more curious. I began to google ( I know google is not a word. It should be though since it is so commonly used) his name. Of course, my efforts were futile. At least, I found out that my father was no popular figure. He was neither a politician, nor a famous rock star cause if he was, my search result would not have been 0. Absolutely 0. Not even a single search result. Sigh...

Becoming more and more frustrated, I decided to ask my cousin, Mark. I grew up with Mark ever since I was a little baby. Mark was four years older than me. He and I almost shared similar paths. His father left him when he was young and so was I. The only thing that was different was the life both of us had after our fathers left us. My mother managed to find herself a drunk beast while Mark’s mother found herself a capable engineer. But to be fair to Mark, his life wasn’t all that people imagined it to be. Since my family was not that wealthy and have no status, there were no expectations. Thus, I am free to become who I choose to be. To come to think of it, I could become a pole dancer and noone would say a thing. But then again, I have never been very good at dancing. I have two right feet. Mark, on the other hand, lived in a controlled environment, almost like a guinea pig. So while I struggle to make my mark, Mark is struggling to get out of the shadows of his family. But we both are the best of friends (or at least good friends. If not that, friends)

So I asked Mark about my father. He said that there was something I should know.

And I was like, oh no. My father`s dead.

And true enough, Mark delivered the news. I wasn’t at all sad though. In fact, I somewhat expected it. But for confirmation, I decided to call my uncle. And so, I called my uncle up and sure enough, my uncle pretended like he knew nothing. And then, I called my mum. The phone was engage. Great. This could only mean one thing. My uncle must have called my mum to warn her. After trying 67 more times (actually it was after the third try), my mum finally answered her phone call.

This conversation was to be the phone conversation of my life.

It was short but it delivered enough blow to alter my life forever.

I told my mum that I have been having dreams lately (yeah, right). My mum asked me what kind of dreams I was having cautiously. (now, I just realized that wet dream would have been an answer that would have helped relieved the tension then but my funny bone wasn’t actually producing any hormones then). I told her that I was having dreams about my father.

And .....how I think my father may be dead already.

This was the point when my mum got all serious and said that there was something I should know.

She told me that .....

I have another father………..

(to be continued tomorow....stay tuned...)

Tomorow:
Is it possible to stay sane after such news..what did my mother mean by 'you have another father'?....stay tuned....

1 comment:

Nadiah Azli said...

Here we go.. a short novel by En. Nazaruddin. "I cant wait!" hahaa..